Britax Frontier 85 SICT
Are you debating between the Britax Frontier 85 or the Britax Frontier 85 SICT? Is there really a difference between the two?
Britax Frontier 85 SICT is the upgraded version of the Britax Frontier 85. Both are great car seats but the Frontier 85 SICT has a few improvements making it the latest and greatest. The main difference between the two car seats is that the Sict allows you to not have to tether. This is actually not the best thing to do, however there are certain cars where tethering could be an issue and hence here your problem is solved.
The other improvement which is the main one in my eyes is the improved side impact protection. Let’s face it, if or when you are in a car accident you want the most protection for your loved one as possible and here with this seat you will get the best side impact protection available.
Britax claims that they have managed to reduce side impact crash energy up to 45% Where safety is concerned the Frontier 85 SICT has an advanced design as it prevents damage through absorption and management. The Tether absorbs energy so that the webbing has a release in order to anchor the top of the seat and keep the rotation at a minimum.
The other difference is that this is a wide seat. For the good of for the bad. Good, more comfort for child, more spacious. Bad: less room on the back seat can get a little cramped at the back. This seat is suitable from 2 years old in harness mode to 120 pounds in booster mode.
- It has higher side impact protection
- It has a high top harness height setting – its about 20 inches higher than other brands, this allows children to remain with the harness longer than with other car seats
- Also has a tall booster height adjustment, this allows your child to stay in the car seat longer than other brands and will go directly to sitting in the car without a booster sit.
- Can be installed in one of three methods; Latch, long or short seatbelt path so it should fit into any car.
- Cover comes off easily without having to reinstall the seat. Its also washable.
- Fabric is great
- 5 point harness that doesn’t get tangled
- 10 positions for height of the harness and 20” in the height of the shoulder
- Latch system allows for quick and easy installation
- cup holder
- fixed arm rests and comfort foam make for a really comfortable seat
- 9 life span
- one year warranty
- As it has a higher height and weight limitation its also heavier and wider about 5” wider than the Britax Frontier 85. If the seat isn’t going to be moved around a lot then this is not such an issue. Wider if you need to fit 3 car seats in the back this could be an issue.
- Seatbelt installations could be more difficult, however it is color coded to help make the installation easier
What are people saying about the SICT?
Mario E Varela in his review says:”it doesn’t hurt my sons legs because the seat is flat and rounded which allow his legs to rest more naturally. Plus he loves it ”
Michael D George in his review wrote: “Seems like the most supportive and safest child car seat we have seen and used”
Read more reviews here
What Do You Get In The Box? BRITAX FRONTIER 85 SICT Booster Seat and instruction manual. Although there are subtle differences between the Britax Frontier 85 SICT and the Britax Frontier 85, there are differences and when it comes to safety I wouldn’t mess around. Both are great car seats but if I could get a seat that provided me with that bit more side impact protection that’s what I would choose. This is a car seat that will last you a long time, it’s good value for money.